The time of year arrives when the old dilemma emerges again. “A” level outcomes are expected soon and students are going to be searching for affordable accommodation. click reference

Although “in hall” residency may be a choice for some lucky students, there is a huge demand for bed-sits, shared apartments or houses. It’s a worrying time for parents, and some of the accommodation leaves a lot to be desired, especially in the major university towns. The tall, multi-storey buildings, occupied by many unrelated tenants and converted into individual self-contained units, are of particular concern. Some of these are owned and run by unscrupulous landlords whose sole aim is to cram as many students as possible in as small a spot, providing little comfort or even protection in the process.

New laws are about to change all that. They would certainly create problems for the above-mentioned landlords, but they can assist those who want to enter the purchase to let market by making these properties more interesting to mortgage lenders, who will see the appeal of well thought-out and controlled conversion schemes.

It was confirmed at the start of this year that such properties will need to be approved prior to occupancy. This should greatly increase the quality of lodging. An inspection will take place, focusing on room sizes, arrangement of aspects of accommodation and protection, and fire regulations. The landlord would also be expected to produce proof of appropriate plans for the future management and maintenance of the house. For a five year licence, the Local Authority would grant the licenses at a cost of about £ 100 per individual tenant. For non-compliance, there would be a fine of up to £20,000. The certificate can be referred to as a multiple occupation licence. It would refer to property that is situated on at least three floors and is let to multiple unrelated tenants.