During these warmer summer months it’s great to feel ‘skin confident’, but how can you glow on the beach? We have come up with some simple summer skincare tips to ensure that you will look your best this year. Visit us on upscalelivingmag.com.
1) Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! Whether you go for a body brush, scrubby sponge, shower gel scrub or pair of exfoliating gloves, make sure you exfoliate at least twice a week in the summer months (except on sunburnt skin). This is one of the best things you can do for your skin and it will make a huge difference to its appearance. You can use a body brush every morning on dry skin to really kick-start your day, or try one of the myriad exfoliating products for wet skin in the bath or shower. Not only will this habit give you beautifully soft skin, it can also help to improve the appearance of cellulite.
2) Moisturise. Moisturise every day for soft silky skin, particularly following a bath or shower when you should apply moisturiser as soon as you are out of the bath. Use a body oil for an even more effective skin softening experience.
3) Tan safely. We always recommend that if you prefer to appear tanned you stick to a fake tan rather than be tempted by sunbeds or sunbathing. This is best done after you have exfoliated and moisturised. Pay particular attention to your elbows, knees, feet and wrists.
4) Use a shaving cream. During the summer we are much more likely to shave every day, so do it properly and carefully with a shaving cream designed for the job. Using shaving cream as a barrier will help your razor to glide over the skin and can also prevent nicks. If you find you are without a shaving cream then a moisturising shower cream will do the same job, or you can even use hair conditioner in an emergency. Again always moisturise following a shave to prevent drying out the skin.
5) Grow an Aloe Vera plant. These super little plants are excellent for treating sunburn and give almost instant relief followed by a speedy recovery. All you need to do is break open a leaf and apply the gel to your burn. It works for scalds too!