When a debt collector sues you for a debt, you will need to do some legal research and write some “motions.” Motions are the way you ask the judge to take some action, such as dismissing the case or requiring the debt collector to provide you with some of the details you have requested. Much of the research you already need to do is actually really easy to find, and you can also easily find the forms you need to follow. All this stuff is on the court, and it’s not difficult to find or use. see the page

The first document you will face in a debt action as a claimant is the “Complaint” or “Petition.” This is the document that says you owe money to the corporation and why. If you look at a few of them, you can see that they follow a pattern that is very clear. In fact, in my experience, all the suits brought against my customers by any given corporation looked almost exactly the same, with only the numbers altered. It’s not rocket science here. They’re doing that because they learn to say what they want to say, and they’re doing it over and over again. Makes sense, huh?

However, the flip side of that is that you’ll know exactly what to say once you’ve seen an answer.

Each court has clerks, and almost all the courts have computer records of any case filed in the jurisdiction these days as well. A clerk may ask you to guide you to that machine. “You do a quick search while there: “name of the company suing you.” This search can pull up hundreds of entries, and if you go to the archives, you’ll see that almost everyone starts with a petition that looks strikingly like yours. Wait, however. The answer you want to see—what that’s tells you what to do. And for this, you’re going to want the pages that are sometimes referred to as the “docket sheets” and sometimes referred to as the “case histories” of a couple of the instances you found. Or maybe you should collect the data for the case directly from the table of contents.

In any event, you want a lawyer to represent the cases in which the party being sued is represented. You may remember that this is almost always the case if the history of the case is longer than a few lines. Specifically, you want to find a response that the lawyer has submitted. This will be noted on the computer. Go to the physical register, which would be situated very close to the office of the clerk or the judge hearing the case in most situations. You are entitled to inspect your paper, so ask to see it. Read the Answer. See how easy copying or imitating would be? But always look at a few instances so that you can compare the answers you see, as one of them can make a lot more sense to you than the others.